EBay Shares What Buyers Want for the Holidays
In an email to sellers, eBay is sharing what holiday buyers are on the hunt for now. Here are some of the highlights:
In Electronics, some of the key trends are:
- The new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air launched on October 27. The new form factor and feature sets are expected to reinvigorate the sales of MacBooks.
- Phone sales continue to outperform expectations with no signs of slowdown in older generation models.
- Hot holiday items are expected to see sales increase early this year. Key items are VR, cell phones, 4K TVs, drones, laptops, and gaming consoles.
Some of the individual items under electronics included an Apple iPod Nano 16Gb 7th generation for $93.13; an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for $574.26; and an Apple 27 inch iMac with Retina 5K Display for $1860.61.
Fashion & Beauty
In Fashion & Beauty, these types of items are hot:
- Beauty gift sets in Fragrance, Skincare, and Makeup are trending as a value play for the holiday gifting season.
- Shearling and faux-shearling boots and slippers are a big focus this holiday, especially with the new UGG Classic II release.
- The athleisure trend continues to be the biggest driver in the men’s and women’s athletic apparel category.
Leggings seemed to be also particularly in demand, with three pairs listed in the trending items, including a pair of LuLaRoe leggings for $26.78.
In the ever-popular Toys category, eBay gives these tips:
- With the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story quickly approaching on December 16, searches are on the rise for all things Star Wars.
- Toys with tech are taking play to the next level this season by integrating tech and learning with fun: Think & Learn Code-a-Pillar, Love2Learn Elmo, Bloxels, and more.
- Demand for LEGO on eBay is on the rise for the holiday season, including Technic, Star Wars, Friends, City, and Super Heroes.
One high-priced action figure listed is a Batman vs. Superman:DAWN of Justice armored 12" figure for $344.01. American Girl dolls often command high figures, and an American Girl Grace Opening Night Dress Pink Outfit GOTY Sandals Headband Tulle is commanding $133.60.
Meanwhile, what about holiday items? In the Home & Garden category, these tips are broken out:
Home & Garden
- This month, holiday is in full effect with the top 5 searched terms: Christmas, Christmas tree, star shower, Christmas lights, and ornaments.
- Stocking stuffers continue to trend, especially decorative jar candles, oil diffuser gift sets, and Fitbit Charge 2.
- This month is also all about cold-weather and winter readiness. In Home Improvement, space heaters, chainsaws, generators, and snow-blowers are in demand.
A Showers Red & Green Laser Light Show, as Seen on TV, is going for $24.99 - $39.99, and one of the Fitbits is going for $99.99.
In Lifestyle & Media:
- D’Angelico Guitars announced the launch of its new electrical guitar strings, D’Angelico Electrozinc, combining modern innovation with classic original.
- Serato teamed up with Roland to launch the DJ-808, an innovative DJ controller that works with Roland’s AIRA products and Serato’s DJ software.
- Technavio’s research analysts expect the global luggage market to expand by a steady 6% from 2016–2020 as luggage continues to improve in comfort and style.
Samsonite suitcases are also in demand, with "Samsonite Suitcases Luggage Inova Spinner 28 Metallic Silver" going for $155.99.
In my experience, eBay is a great place to get unique and "old world" holiday ornaments you can't easily find in the stores, and of course there are decorations galore. If you are a seller, get out those holiday items now, from jewelry to Pere Noels and "old World" Santas; buyers love to purchase decorations in advance of the holidays and also to give as gifts.
What are you looking to buy online for the holiday season, and what do you look to buy on eBay vs. buying in the stores? Post a comment here!